The HTAP_V2 dataset consists of 0.1degx0.1deg gridmaps (left bottom corner centered) of CH4, CO, SO2, NOx, NMVOC, NH3, PM10, PM2.5, BC and OC for the years 2008 and 2010. HTAP_V2 uses nationally reported emissions combined with regional scientific inventories in the format of sector-specific gridmaps. The gridmaps are complemented with EDGARv4.3 data for those regions where data are absent. The global gridmaps are a joint effort from US-EPA, the MICS-Asia group, EMEP/TNO, the REAS and the EDGAR group to serve in the first place the scientific community for hemispheric transport of air pollution. The static version is available on this EDGAR website, but also the GEIA data portal and the ECCAD server.
The sectors are for all substances defined as follows: htap_1_air = international and domestic air, htap_2_shipping = international shipping, htap_3_energy = power industry, htap_4_industry = manufacturing, mining, metal, cement, chemical, solvent industry, htap_5_transport = ground transport (incl. road, rail, pipeline, inland waterways), htap_6_residential = heating/cooling of buildings and equipment/lighting of buildings and waste treatment. For NH3 there is in addition sector htap_8_agriculture = agriculture but not agricultural waste burning.
The data is made available in the following tables:
- Gridmaps 0.1degx0.1deg for years 2008 and 2010 (yearly and monthly files) by sector
- Gridmaps 0.1degx0.1deg for year 2008
- Monthly Gridmaps 0.1degx0.1deg for 2008
- Gridmaps 0.1degx0.1deg for year 2010
- Monthly Gridmaps 0.1degx0.1deg for 2010
The overview excel file for the annual gridmaps of 2008 and 2010 presents the emission share of each separate dataset (US EPA, Canada EPA, MICS, TNO/EMEP Europe, MICS Asia and EDGAR for the rest of the world) to the global total for each substance and each sector. The overview excel file for the monthly gridmaps of 2008 and 2010 gives the monthly split-up of the sector-specific global emissions. The monthly emission gridmaps are not made for the sectors htap_1_air and htap_2_shipping as we assume the bunker data constant over the year.
The CH4 emissions are not taken up in the table below, because we for CH4 refer to the v4.2_FT2010 dataset, which provides also for 2008 and 2010 a complete set of 0.1degx0.1deg gridmaps, that can be downloaded from http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/overview.php?v=42FT2010 and is documented in the IEA non-CO2 GHG book.
Definition of particulate matter species: PM10 includes all particles with diameter up to 10 micron, PM2.5 all particles with diameter up to 2.5 micron, BC includes all elemental carbon (part of PM2.5), OC includes all organic carbon (also a part of PM2.5). The different species PM10, PM2.5, BC and OC are not additive and the sum of BC and OC is not significantly larger than PM2.5.
Note 1: Where TNO/EMEP did not provide sector-specific emissions for some countries (in 11 countries for NH3, in 2 countries for OC, in 1 country for PM10, PM2.5 and BC) gapfilling with EDGAR data was performed. In particular for the htap_3_energy sector, most countries use point source distribution (few dots), but where missing population-based proxies were applied (leading to a coloured surface area).
Note 2: in ton substance / 0.1degree x 0.1degree / year for the .txt files and in kg substance /m2 /s for the .nc files. The date of compilation is on the dataset file. Where an update is performed, the new date is visualised in the cell of the table.
Note 3: A report with a more extensive description of the dataset is in draft.
Conditions of emission data use and code of conduct
Users of the data are obliged to acknowledge the source of the data with a reference to the HTAP_V2 website (and publication as soon as available). The data providers are collecting feedback from users (just email your comment/requests to JRC-EDGAR@ec.europa.eu), but the version on the website is frozen. No conversions to other spatial resolutions will be provided. For important comments or potential errors, a corrigendum will be posted on the website. The emission datasets should not be passed on to third parties or projects without notification to the data provider. The data providers accept no responsibility with regard to problems incurred as a result of errors in the data.
- 17 January 2014: The aviation sector "htap_1 Air" of the HTAP_v2.2 dataset has been enhanced for all substances with a distribution into 3 layers: LTO=Landing & TakeOff, CDS=Climbing & Descent, CRS=Cruise.
- 18 December 2013: The HTAP_v2.1 dataset has been updated to HTAP_v2.2 to correct the gridmaps of the particulate matter.
- The PM2.5 for USA and Canada has been updated for all sectors (applying correct interpretation of the PMFINE definition: PM2.5 = PEC + POC + PMFINE + PSO4 + PNO3). The PM2.5 has been also updated for the EMEP-TNO dataset, adding 8 industrial point source data.
- The BC and OC had to be recalculated for Europe, based on the PM2.5 and no longer on PM10 for all sectors. Also few BC emission datapoints in Zimbabwe, Qatar and Columbia were updated in the EDGAR_v4.3 dataset. The OC gridmaps for aviation from EDGAR_v4.3 had to be corrected with a smaller emission factor for the domestic part.
- 18 November 2013: The HTAP_v2.0 dataset has been updated to HTAP_v2.1 to standardise all 3600 x 1800 longitude and latitude values for the global 0.1degree x 0.1 degree grid. (This impacted the TNO grid and therefore all files for the sectors 3_energy, 4_industry, 5_transport, 6_residential and 8_agriculture were replaced.) Please note that the gridmaps of the annual and the monthly .nc-files are expressed in fluxes with unit kg substance /m2 /s for all substances (also NO2 and SO2 and these are not in kg N/m2/s or kg S/m2/s). The title in the NOx files has been clarified as such. All files have the date of release indicated in order to provide the users full transparency on the updates.
- 08 November 2013: The HTAP_v2.0 dataset has been updated to correct the errors for the 2008 and 2010 monthly NMVOC 4_Industry data (evaporation of crude oil during tanker transport).
- 05 November 2013: The HTAP_v2.0 dataset has been updated to correct the errors for the 2010 NMVOC 6_residential data (125 - gridcells), the 2010 CO 4_industry data (2 - grid cells), the 2010 SO2 4_industry data (1 - grid cell) and the 2010 NOx 4_industry data (1 - grid cell).
Annual and monthly gridmaps 2008 and 2010 by sector
For each sector, annual and monthly gridmaps (2008 and 2010) are provided.
Notes: Emission gridmaps are expressed in ton substance / 0.1degree x 0.1degree / year for the .txt files and in kg substance /m2 /s for the .nc files.
Annual gridmaps 2008 and 2010 by sector
For each sector annual gridmaps (2008 and 2010) are provided for all substances.
Notes: Emission gridmaps are expressed in ton substance / 0.1degree x 0.1degree / year for annual .txt files and in kg substance /m2 /s for all the .nc files.
Sources and references
Janssens-Maenhout, G., Crippa, M., Guizzardi, D., Dentener, F., Muntean, M., Pouliot, G., Keating, T., Zhang, Q., Kurokawa, J., Wankmüller, R., Denier van der Gon, H., Kuenen, J. J. P., Klimont, Z., Frost, G., Darras, S., Koffi, B., and Li, M.: HTAP_v2.2: a mosaic of regional and global emission grid maps for 2008 and 2010 to study hemispheric transport of air pollution, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 15, 11411-11432, doi:10.5194/acp-15-11411-2015, 2015.
For more information or data: JRC-EDGAR@ec.europa.eu